ST. MARY CATHOLIC SECONDARY APPLICATION PROCESS FOR UNIVERSITIES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION
1. How many universities are there in Ontario?
There are 19 public universities in Ontario (including the Royal Military College) - many have affiliate colleges and/or multiple campuses:
Brock (St. Catharines) Carleton (Ottawa)
University of Guelph Lakehead (Thunder Bay)
Laurentian (Sudbury) McMaster (Hamilton)
Nipissing (North Bay) University of Ottawa
Queen's (Kingston) Royal Military College (Kingston)
Ryerson (Toronto) Trent (Peterborough)
University of Waterloo University of Western Ontario (London)
Wilfrid Laurier (Waterloo/Brantford) University of Windsor
University of Toronto (downtown Scarborough, Mississauga)
Ontario College of Art and Design (Toronto)
2. Do any other institutions offer degree programs?
There are private universities, such as Redeemer in Ancaster. A number of colleges offer applied degree programs with admission requirements similar to universities'. For more information go to degreesindemand.ca
3. What's the length of programs?
Most undergraduate degree programs are four years
4. What's the approximate cost for a year?
The approximate cost for one year of study if a student moves away from home is approximately $20,000(includes tuition, student fees, residence, meals, textbooks, personal costs)
5. What are the admission requirements?
The basic requirement for admission is 6 "4U" or "4M" courses; most programs have specific subject requirements; some universities require a minimum number of "U" type courses.
6. How much does it cost to apply through OUAC?
The cost is $150 for the first three application choices, and $50 for each additional choice.
University Research Checklist
1. Research your many options by using the following publications and resources:
a. OUinfo - https://www.ontariouniversitiesinfo.ca/
2. Record the programs
3. Obtain your confidential PIN letter from Student Services
4. Apply On-line by January 13, 2023
5. After you submit your COMPASS application – you can review and change
Research What? What do you need to know?
The following information:
• Course content * Program availability
• Prerequisites needed * Size of the university
• Location of university * Cost
• Distance away from home * Housing
• Athletics * Student life
• Scholarships and financial assistance
www.collegeboard.org American College Board
www.petersons.com American College & Universities
American central application site
CAREER EXPLORE/SELF ASSESSMENT